Important Notice : New Service Provider
With effect from May 07, 2013, M/s BLS International Services Ltd will be the new service provider for Passport and Passport Related Services.
Details of M/S BLS International Services Ltd : San Francisco
4837 Geary Blvd, San Francisco, CA 94118
Tel : 1(866)973-1533
Information related to passport services: firstname.lastname@example.org
For feedback: email@example.com
The Consulate General of India, San Francisco, does not, directly accept applications, either in person or through mail for passport related services.
The processing time of passport is 4 weeks.
Passport issued from Passport Issuing Authorities other than San Francisco could take much longer.
All queries relating to passport services needs to be addressed to M/S BLS International Services Ltd.
This Consulate would not respond to queries regarding status of passport application.
Your Passport - Helpful Tips
- Your passport is a very important document. Make a photocopy of your passport and keep it in a safe place away from the original passport. In the event your original passport is lost/damaged/stolen, the photocopy will help in faster processing for issuing a duplicate passport.
- If you are travelling to another country, the passport travels with you. You should, therefore, not ship your passport to any other country from the country you are resident in.
- Passport is valid for ten years. It is in your interest to ensure your passport is valid at least for 6 months at any given time.
- Check the validity of your passport from time to time to ensure its validity for travel.
- Your passport can be renewed up to twelve months prior to its expiry date.
- It is advisable to apply for renewal well in advance so that your travel, etc., are not distrupted in case there is a delay in getting renewal of your passport.
- When you apply for fresh passport / renewal of passport you will be issued a new passport. However in case of renewal, your old passport will be cancelled and returned to you so that you can still use the valid visas in that passport.
- If you obtain citizenship/passport of any other country (For example: US passport), you need to surrender your Indian Passport to the Indian Consulate through its outsourcing agency 'Travisa Outsourcing' Failure to do so will involve payment of penalty at a later stage.
- B1/B2 visa holders are temporary visitors to U.S. and should, in normal course, apply for passport services at their place of residence in India. However, in case of any emergency requirement thay may contact the Consulate for issue of short validity passports.
- No need to specially request for ECNR. ECNR(Emigration Clearance Not Required) is now given by default.
- Immediately after receiving your passport check if all entries are correct. If there is any clerical error/oversight, send the passport alongwith a note describing the error within 30 days of receipt of passport. The error will be corrected without any fee. if the error is, however, because of incorrect entries made by the applicant in the application form, fresh fee will need to be paid.
New Procedure for applying online for Indian citizenship by descent under Section 4(I) of the Citizenship Act, 1995.
In order to make the aforesaid procedure simpler online submission of applications by foreigners at Indian Missions abroad has been introduced.
To fill in the application please follow the links below
- Registration of birth of a minor child at an Indian consulate under section 4(1) of the citizenship act, 1955
Click on the option (Registration of birth of a minor child at an Indian consulate under section 4(1) of the citizenship act, 1955)
- Online status enquiry:
- Other important online applications relating to Indian citizenship
A user guide is available at:
After printing the application, paste applicant’s recent passport (2" X 2"), size photograph on the printed application and submit it along with the necessary documents to the respective Consulates.
It is mandatory to do the registration on line and no more hand written applications will be accepted by the Consulates in San Francisco.
Other Passport related Services - Helpful tips