Consulate General of IndiaSan Francisco, California
Serving the states of: Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming and territory of Guam
Facility for NRIs for depositing specified bank notes made available till 30 June 2017January 09, 2017
Facility for NRIs for depositing specified bank notes made available till 30 June 2017
January 06, 2017
As was notified on 8 November 2016, those persons who were unable to exchange or deposit the old series Indian bank notes of Rs.500 and 1000 denominations (specified bank notes – SBNs)) in their bank accounts on or before 30 December 2016 shall be given an opportunity to do so.
Accordingly, the Ministry of Finance, Government of India through a gazette notification S.O. 4251(E) dated 30 December 2016, in exercise of the powers conferred by relevant provisions of the Specified Bank Notes (Cessation of Liabilities) Ordinance 2016, has announced that this facility would be available to all Indian citizens who were outside India from 9 November 2016 to 30 December 2016, to tender these SBNs at the specified Issue Offices of RBI until 31 March 2017. For those citizens of India, who are not resident in India, this facility would be available till 30th June 2017 in order to allow them adequate time to plan a visit as per their convenience.
The above facility would be subject to the regulations of the notification "Foreign Exchange Management (Export and Import of Currency) Regulations, 2015. As per these regulations bringing back such currency into the country is restricted to Rs. 25,000/- per person. Separate FEMA provisions are applicable to persons in Nepal and Bhutan which would continue to apply.
Relevant links to above notifications are placed below.
- The Specified Bank Notes (Cessation of Liabilities) Ordinance 2016
http://dea.gov.in/sites/default/files/Ordinance 10 of 2016 30.12.2016.pdf
- Notification S.O. 4251(E) dated 30 December 2016
January 6, 2017
Latest News and Events
- February 20, 2017 : International healthcare tourism congress 2017, at bangalore on 3-4 march 2017
- February 15, 2017 : Press release on “isro launched a world record 104 satellites on pslv c37 rocket from the sriharikota spaceport in andhra pradesh on february 15, 2017.”
- February 15, 2017 : 3rd edition of india steel expo 2017
- February 09, 2017 : Register for make in india conference in karnataka - auto & auto components: 1130 - 1300 hrs on 14th feb 2017, grand ballroom, hotel lalit ashok, bengaluru