Consulate General of IndiaSan Francisco, California
Serving the states of: Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming and territory of Guam
Scholarship Programme for Diaspora Children-2013-14April 23, 2013
The Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs launched a scheme called the “Scholarship Programme for Diaspora Children” (SPDC) in 2006-07, to assist children/wards of Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) and Non-Resident Indian (NRIs) in pursuing under graduate courses in several disciplines in India.
The following are the highlights of the SPDC-2013-14:-
- 100 scholarships are being offered for undergraduate courses in several disciplines including Engineering/Architecture/Technology, Humanities/Liberal Arts, Commerce, Management – BBA/BBM, Journalism, Hotel Management, Agriculture/Animal Husbandry, Science, Law etc.
- The programme is open only to PIOs/NRIs from the specified 40 countries having a larger concentration of Indian Diaspora.
- 50 % of the scholarship slots would be reserved of PIOs. However, in the event of the non-availability of suitable PIO candidates, the unfilled slots could be assigned to NRI candidates.
- NRI candidates would be eligible for the grant of the scholarship only if their total family income per month does not exceed an amount equivalent to US $ 2,250 (US dollars two thousand two hundred and fifty only)
- Children of NRIs should have pursued at least three years of education, inclusive of 11th& 12thor equivalent (not beyond), in a foreign country during the last six years, and should have passed the qualifying examination abroad.
- PIO/NRI Students already studying in India on a self-financing basis or under any other arrangement will not be eligible under this scheme, which is open only for fresh admissions in the first semester/year of undergraduate courses.
- Candidates would be selected on the basis of their performance in the qualifying examination (equivalent to plus 2 stage in India) which decides the eligibility to apply for the scholarship scheme. The candidates would also have to fulfill all the criteria prescribed for the purpose.
- The amount of scholarship admissible would be 75 % of the total Institutional Economic Cost (IEC) or US $ 4,000 (US dollars four thousand only) per annum, whichever is less. IEC includes Tuition fee, Hostel fee & other institutional charges.
- Admission may be sought in one of the institutes/colleges/universities given in Appendix ‘C’ of the information booklet.
- The last date for receipt of duly filled-in application forms in the prescribed format by Ed.CIL is 18thJune 2013.
- The application can be downloaded from the MOIA website www.moia.gov.in or Ed.CIL website www.edcilindia.co.in .
Latest News and Events
- April 24, 2017 : 11th international high energy material conference and exhibits (hemce-2017) 23-25 november 2017
- April 19, 2017 : Dakshin fest - the culture and cuisine of south india
- March 30, 2017 : Textiles india 2017, 30th june to 2nd july 2017 at mahatma mandir, gandhinagar, gujarat
- March 28, 2017 : Google hangout about india development foundation of overseas indians, 10 april 2017, 0900 hrs ist